Here is our re-opening FAQ and responses due to the COVID-19 pandemic
Update as of January 5, 2022:
What are the new hours of operation for Members?
As announced on January 3, 2022, by the Ontario Government, Ontario will be temporarily moving to a modified Step Two of the Roadmap to Reopen. As a result of these current restrictions, our facility will be closed to members until further notice.
We will continue providing members with disabilities who have a referral from their doctor for physical therapy to continue with in-person sessions between the hours of 8:00 am -3:30 pm, Monday – Friday. We will be closed Saturday and Sunday.
Can I book rental space at Abilities Centre or I have a scheduled rental?
All Rentals are cancelled at this time. For all existing rentals you will be contacted by our team for next steps.
For more information, please contact our Rentals Department firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 905 665-8500 (x120).
All active memberships have been put on hold during the modified Step Two of the Roadmap to Reopen.
If you require detailed info or customer service support, please contact us at email@example.com
What classes are available to members?
During this time our in-person classes are cancelled. Check out @abilitiescentre on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and twitter for virtual fitness classes and youth programs.
Abilities Centre’s Vaccine Policy:
The Government of Ontario, in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of Health, announced that the province will require people to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of their vaccination status using their QR Code to access certain businesses and settings starting January 3, 2022.
View the Vaccine Policy
Read more on the vaccine mandate for staff here
Read Abilities Centre's safety plan here
Does everyone coming into Abilities Centre need to be fully vaccinated?
Yes, under the new Government regulations taking effect September 22, 2021, Ontarians will need to be fully vaccinated (two doses plus 14 days) and provide their proof of vaccination along with ID to access certain public settings and facilities such as Abilities Centre.
Will Abilities Centre ensure their staff are fully vaccinated?
Yes. On August 17, 2021, the Government of Ontario announced that COVID-19 vaccinations policies will be mandatory for staff and volunteers working in high-risk settings. Abilities Centre is a high-risk environment with the vulnerable sector we serve therefore we have taken action to mandate the vaccine for Abilities Centre staff in order to increase protection for our most vulnerable, including seniors, immunocompromised individuals and young children who are not yet eligible for vaccination. The following requirements have been implemented and will effective September 22, 2021:
- Full vaccination against COVID-19;
- A medical reason for not being vaccinated against COVID-19;
- Staff with medical exemptions will be required to undertake regular rapid antigen testing.
Do I have to wear a mask while exercising?
Face masks are required in all public spaces within the facility. Durham Region Health Department has authorized the removal of a mask while exercising but Abilities Centre strongly recommends if you are able to wear one during exercising to please do so. Your mask protects everyone around you, and their masks protect you.
Exemptions, as stipulated by the Durham Region Health Department, apply to people with health, respiratory or sensory issues; various disabilities; those unable to remove the mask without assistance; children under the age of two; as https://www.durham.ca/en/health-and-wellness/resources/Documents/Novel-Coronavirus/COVID-19-MOH-Letter-July062020.pdf
What measures are being taken to support the safety of the facility?
What measures are being taken to support health and safety at Abilities Centre? Upon arrival, we have adjusted our process for entering the Centre:
- Vaccine mandate policies are in effect (see Q&A above)
- Enhanced cleaning throughout the day; deep cleaning during closed hours.
- Extra hand sanitizing stations are positioned throughout the facility.
- Paper towels are provided in lieu of air hand dryers in washrooms.
- Touchless payment is preferred – online or tap debit/credit cards.
- Enhanced health and safety training for all staff.
- Attendance tracking of EVERYONE who enters Abilities Centre, to facilitate contract tracing if necessary. This means signing in and signing out, for everybody, every time.
- Please review our Safety Plan for additional details
- Proof of vaccine is required upon entry into the facility
- Health screening will be required for everyone. Your contact information and a signed waiver will be for the safety of all.
- All members and participants will be identified and directed by staff (front desk) upon entrance to the location of their activity.
- When your visit is complete, you will follow a sign out process
How do we enter and exit the building?
All visitors and members will be ENTERING through the main sliding glass doors off Gordon Street (west side). This enables us to manage and control traffic flow, and screen and track accurately all visitors to the facility.
From December 1, 2021 – March 31, 2022, the sliding glass doors facing Victoria Street will be closed to maximize the heat in the atrium during the winter months.
Access to the link connecting Abilities Centre to Iroquois Park Sports Complex is temporarily closed.
I have a meeting with someone at Abilities Centre, is there anything I need to know?
- Health screening will be required for all visitors. This includes following the same sign in and sign out process as all other visitors to the Centre
- All visitors must register and sign in at the front service desk in order for their host to be notified.
- A visitor waiting area will be provided while awaiting meeting or escort into the Centre.
- After the visit, guest will be accompanied back to the lobby by their host to the sign out station.
Provincial and regional guidelines and restrictions continuously evolve and we are adapting accordingly to ensure safe environment for all. Please check back with us frequently.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-665-8500 ext. 0
Smile! Be Safe. Be Kind.