Important Status Updates:
We are so excited to welcome you back as our province begins its staged re-opening plans for Friday June 11 at 12:01am. To book an outdoor fitness classes please go to: Fitness Class Schedule | Abilities Centre Whitby
As of Monday February 8 2021, there was a new amendment to the provincial order that will enable us to begin to serve members of our community, starting with those who were already registered in physical therapy programs. Please continue to monitor your email communications and we look forward to welcoming you as our capacity increases. To learn more, view the amendment.
Members can notice many changes around the Centre as we enhance our health and safety measures to protect all of our members, participants, visitors and staff. We continue to explore new ways to serve our community better and offer the programs and services that are most important to you.
Read Abilities Centre's safety plan here
How do we enter and exit the building?
• We have only one point of entrance, through the main sliding glass doors off Gordon Street (west side). This enables us to manage and control traffic flow, ensure physical distancing, and screen and track accurately all visitors to the facility. With the colder weather we have made some adjustments to the entrance to allow as many members to wait inside while maintaining the required physical distancing.
• We have only one point of exit, through the sliding doors facing Victoria Street, on the south side of the building. Please note: Staff will coordinate with members requiring different point of exit required for accessibility reasons.
• Access to the link connecting Abilities Centre to Iroquois Park Sports Complex is temporarily closed.
What are the new hours of operation?
Please note hours of operation outside of our regular listed hours depends on pre-registered/booked programs and rentals being offered at the Centre. Monday-Friday - 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Is pre-registration required before visiting Abilities Centre?
• Yes, 100% of all classes, programs and activities require that you pre-register in advance by phone 905-665-8500
• Please note that while we remain in the Red Zone, fitness classes are not currently being offered in person. Please visit AC Virtual World
to access fitness classes and programs online to keep yourself healthy and accountable!
• Walk-in traffic will be extremely limited. To ensure you are able to access the facility upon arrival, pre-registration is highly recommended.
What measures are being taken to support health and safety at Abilities Centre?
Upon arrival, we have adjusted our process for entering the Centre:
• Health screening will be required for everyone. Your contact information and a signed waiver will be for the safety of all.
• Pre-registered members and participants will be identified and directed by staff (front desk) upon entrance to the location of their activity.
• When your visit is complete, you will follow a sign out process at the south sliding doors facing Victoria Street.
I have a meeting with someone at Abilities Centre, is there anything I need to know?
• Health screening will be required for all visitors. This includes following the same sign in and sign out process as all other visitors to the Centre
• All visitors must register and sign in at the front service desk in order for their host to be notified.
• A visitor waiting area will be provided while awaiting meeting or escort into the Centre.
• After the visit, guest will be accompanied back to the lobby by their host to the sign out station.
What measures are being taken to support the safety of the facility?
• Enhanced cleaning throughout the day; deep cleaning during closed hours.
• Extra hand sanitizing stations are positioned throughout the facility.
• Showers and water fountains remain closed. Water filling stations are available.
• Paper towels are provide in lieu of air hand dryers in washrooms.
• Abilities Centre will provide all equipment including mats – we clean and sanitize all equipment and high-touch surfaces before and after use.
• Those members bringing in their own pre-approved equipment will be required to clean their equipment upon entry and exit of the Centre. Please note that only equipment that can be sanitized will be permitted into the Centre.
• Reduced numbers of people in attendance within the facility, by class, activity, and program.
• Touchless payment is preferred – online or tap debit/credit cards.
• Enhanced health and safety training for all staff.
• Personal protective equipment (PPE) for staff – gloves, masks, face shields, gowns as necessary.
• Attendance tracking of EVERYONE who enters Abilities Centre, to facilitate contract tracing if necessary. This means signing in and signing out, for everybody, every time.
• Please review our Safety Plan
for additional details
How is Abilities Centre implementing physical distancing?
• We have floor markers indicating physical distancing space and showing the direction of traffic flow
• Controlled traffic flow – one-way traffic in most areas
• Plexiglass shields in service areas
• Reduced occupancy (i.e. fewer people) in all spaces
• No hand shaking or touching unless necessary
• Physical distancing in change rooms; showers are temporarily closed
• Signs reminding us of recommended health and safety practices, including staying 3 metres (9 feet) apart where possible during physical activity
• Enter through one door/entrance and exit through another. This applies to the main entrance and exit, as well as spaces within the Centre.
Does everyone need to wear a mask or face covering?
• Yes, face masks are required in all public spaces within the facility. Durham Region Health Department has authorized the removal of a mask while exercising but Abilities Centre strongly recommends if you are able to wear one during exercising to please do so . Your mask protects everyone around you, and their masks protect you.
• Exemptions, as stipulated by the Durham Region Health Department, apply to people with health, respiratory or sensory issues; various disabilities; those unable to remove the mask without assistance; children under the age of two; as https://www.durham.ca/en/health-and-wellness/resources/Documents/Novel-Coronavirus/COVID-19-MOH-Letter-July062020.pdf
Have any accommodations been made around mask usage and communication?
We thank The Como Foundation for their generous donation of custom lip-reading masks, which ensure our staff and members can communicate in an accessible manner with our community members who are hearing-impaired. We also have provided transparent face shields to our customer service staff.
How can members and visitors help keep us all safe?
• Practice physical distancing, wear a non-medical mask/face covering, wipe down equipment after each use with the safe cleaning materials we provide and, of course, wash your hands frequently.
• These extra steps will increase waiting and/or processing time so be patient with staff and other community members you may encounter.
How do we sign up for classes?
• When classes resume, online registration is preferred. Please register here Fitness Class Schedule | Abilities Centre Whitby
• You may also call us at 905-665-8500 x 0
What classes are available to members?
• The classes currently being offered online are through our AC Virtual World Online Memberships
What programs are currently running?
Please note, we will be continuing or re-opening the following programs and services (within maximum capacity numbers, which are very limited and will involve pre-booking):
- Post Rehabilitation (TIME in-person; Respiratory Cardiac Maintenance - virtual)
- Academy for Student Athlete Development (in person)
- Personal training (1:1 in person and virtual)
- Virtual Fitness Classes and programs
- Thrive (1:1 and small group in person and virtual)
- EmployAbilities (virtual)
- Leadership in Training (virtual)
- Pathways (virtual)
- Therapeutic Recreation – virtual and 1 to 1 in-person session.
Will professional and amateur athletes still be able to participate in high-performance training at Abilities Centre?
• Yes. Spaces will need to be booked by National/Provincial sport organizations or affiliated clubs.
• Participants must observe the health and safety protocols of both Abilities Centre and their respective sport governing body.
• All sports organizations must follow up to date Return-to-Play policy and procedures
Will we be able to bring our children to a supervised activity or play area while we work out?
• Our children’s playground will also remain closed until further notice.
What protocols is ASAD following within the building?
You may notice that the ASAD program follows a slightly different set of regulations from our general Abilities Centre classes. Because ASAD is delivered in partnership with both the Durham District and Durham Catholic District School Boards, student athletes enrolled in the program will follow the health and safety protocols as outlined by the Ministry of Education. With respect to ASAD, Abilities Centre is recognized as an extension of the school board classrooms as the student athletes are receiving academic credit for their athletic training which is linked to graduation requirements.
The different protocols ASAD will be following include:
• A maximum of 15 students per space (in order to align with the 15:1 student to teacher ratio);
• A separate sign in process that links COVID attestation and building access to school board attendance rosters; and
• The use of multiple spaces within the Field House (as identified as separate classroom spaces by the school board and ASAD principal).
My membership was put on hold – what happens now?
We placed all membership payments on hold when we closed the Centre to members in November 2020 due to capacity numbers. Any accounts that contained prepaid balances for membership that that they could not utilize due to the sudden closure will be credited towards their membership fees upon re-opening
If you require detailed info or customer service support, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I need to wait for transportation – where can I do this?
We have set aside a designated waiting area at the south end of the lobby (looking towards Victoria Street).
Can I book rental space at Abilities Centre?
Yes, our facility is open for rentals with limited capacity. For more information about renting a space at Abilities Centre, please contact email@example.com or phone at 905 665-8500 (x120).
Please check back with us frequently!
Provincial and regional guidelines and restrictions continuously evolve and we are adapting accordingly to ensure safe environment for all.
If you require detailed information, customer service support, or would like to give feedback on our communications, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 905-665-8500 ext. 0
Smile! Be Safe. Be. Kind.