Abilities Centre strives to make communities more accessible and inclusive to increase quality of life for every individual and enable them to participate fully in community life.
With a comprehensive and innovative approach to inclusion and accessibility, we offer a wide range of programs and services in our community hub, lead research and advocacy on inclusion issues, and develop scalable frameworks for programs to meet the needs of individuals and communities in Durham Region and across Canada.
- Over 1.3 billion people globally live with a disability
- Over 6.2 million Canadians identified as living with a disability that caused pain or impaired their mobility, vision, hearing or cognition. That’s almost a quarter of the total population in Canada
- Persons with disabilities and their families have spending power of over $8 trillion globally, and over $50 billion in Canada
- Yet only 4% of businesses are focused on making offerings inclusive of disability
- It is time we acknowledged and leveraged the talent, skills and diversity of our disability community in the creation of fully accessible and inclusive communities that break down barriers and support every individual in realizing their full potential.